The following are the tasks, tools and resources we envision are useful with eSDScom today. Where standard solutions exist, we have listed the products.
- Use standard phrases: The eSDScom phrases are what this project recommends, but you can use any phrase catalogue for the SDS main body. (For EU exposure scenarios, industry agreed on an eSDScom phrase subset). The eSDScom phrase tool allows you to browse the standard phrase catalogue and request changes.
- Convert Safety Data Sheets from PDF into eSDScom: Several commercial solutions exist. Follow the workshops for more info.
- Edit/author eSDScom data: A simple editor is planned to become available still in 2022. Stay tuned.
- Validate eSDScom: QualiVali or any standard XML software validates technically.
- Quality check eSDScom data: Also called content validation, this remains an expert task. To a certain degree, ECHA or ACEA requirements help with basic quality requirements. A content validation tool is planned for 2023. (as far as this can be automated).
- "Print" Safety Data Sheets: Currently, there is a stylesheet for version 4.4 and an SDBtransfer subset stylesheet for version 4.2. Stylesheets for 5.x are yet to be defined.
- Create Operating Directives according to German law: The GisChem system allows to upload SDScom data to save effort in authoring of workplace specific directives.
Further tools are possible once XML exchange is widely used and downstream user exposure assessment methodology has developed, e.g. for scaling risk management measures when a substance becomes part of a mixture.